Shaz Anwar is a hospice medical director for Capital Caring Health in Northern Virginia, one of the oldest and largest hospice agencies in the US. He provides expert medical direction for patients with advanced illness in their home setting. Originally planning to pursue a path in specialized surgery, his journey and amalgamation of experiences in neurosurgery, surgical oncology, internal medicine, critical care medicine, and physical medicine and rehabilitation led him organically to hospice and palliative medicine, and he has not looked back.
He is privileged to serve patients and their families during their difficult journeys, in order to attain the peace and dignity they strive for. He considers the delivery care services of hospice as the cherry on top of the US healthcare system.
He is a life-long learner, extracting the most knowledge and wisdom from the patients and families he encounters every day.
In his free time, he enjoys spending it with his family, attempting to stay consistent with exercise, as well as exploring the diverse cuisines of Northern Virginia and D.C.
- Hospice Medical Director, Capital Caring Health, Manassas, VA, USA
- Fellowship, Hospice and Palliative Medicine, OhioHealth Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus, OH, 2018 – 2019
- Chief Resident, Internal Medicine, LewisGale Montgomery Hospital, Blacksburg, VA, 2017 – 2018
- Residency, Internal Medicine, LewisGale Montgomery Hospital, Blacksburg, VA, 2015 – 2018
- Medical Degree, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Suwanee GA, 2011 – 2015
- Undergraduate Degree, Bachelor of Arts in Neuroscience, Austin College, Sherman, TX, 2006 – 2010