Margie Hiermer’s love of adventure and bicycling came from the many rides down to Goldhardt’s Grocery as a child to connect with Leona “Loany” Rice, a woman more grandmother than grand-aunt.
Margie thrives engaging with others and brings that passion to the teams she leads to deliver exceptional client value and satisfaction. Her career as a senior leader and program manager spans over 30 years with and in a variety of organizations – from Fortune 50 and small entrepreneurial business – to government agencies.
Margie is a seasoned public speaker across a diverse range of socioeconomic, cultural, and business audiences. She is a charter member of a non-profit organization dedicated to reducing health disparities in underserved populations in the Appalachian sections of Ohio.
PallMed and PCIC have empowered Margie with the awareness and tools to ensure no other suffers unnecessarily and dies horrifically as did her beloved Aunt Loany.
Outside of work, she winds down by cycling, hiking or poking around farm fields in search of buried treasures.
- Senior Consultant, RAMA, Inc., Columbus, Ohio, 2006-2015.
- Lab Services Manager; Manufacturing Resource Office Manager; Manufacturing Assessment Engineer; Edison Welding Institute, Columbus, Ohio, 1993-2005.
- Operations Analyst, Battelle Memorial Institute, Columbus, Ohio, 1988-1991.
- Production Supervisor; Project Engineer; Manufacturing Liaison Engineer; Rockwell International, Columbus, Ohio, 1982-1987.
- Assistant Production Coordinator, Xerox Educational Publications, Columbus, Ohio, 1980.
- Program Manager for Palliative Care Interdisciplinary Curriculum (PCIC) and PALLMED.
- Editor of “Life Through Their Lens, A Photo Collection by Amish and Mennonite Communities, Volume 1”.
- Program Manager for the community engagement phase of The City of Columbus Department of Public Utilities “Blueprint Columbus”, a $2.5 billion initiative to eliminate sewer overflows as required by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Center Director for the Manufacturing Extension Program (MEP) for the Department of Commerce and the Ohio Department of Development, a bi-partisan program to sustain and grow the competitive profile of U.S. industry.
- Developed and deployed the U.S. Air Force’s manufacturing assessment product, “Program for Regional Improvement Services for Small Manufacturers (PRISSM)” to over 500 companies.
- Delivered a plan/strategy to the U.S. Air Force for the implementation of a Computer Integrated Manufacturing Factory of the Future that doubled plant capacity, with a projected payback of $42 million over 20 years, and an investment of $4.2 million over 10 years.
- Directed staff of 60 in a fast-paced union environment for the B-1 Bomber program. Recovered a 21 day behind schedule assembly position while decreasing overtime from 42% to 9% and product turnaround by 52%.
Education / Honors
- ISO9000 Lead Auditor Certification, Perry Johnson, 1997
- Business Analyst Certification, Capital University, 1996
- Master of Business Administration, University of Dayton, 1993
- Methods Engineering Certification, Maynard Research Council, 1988
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism, Public Relations, Ohio University, 1979
- Director of the Year, Ohio Small Business Development Centers, Small Business Administration, 1997
- Life Through Their Lens, A Photo Collection by Amish and Mennonite Communities, Volume 1. Thomas MK, Hiermer MA, Tarro TA. Center for Appalachia Research in Cancer Education, 2018.
- Chinese Lanterns. Hiermer MA, eigramm LLC, 2016.
- Health-related research among Amish women: A review of findings. Thomas MK, Menon U, Ferguson, SE, Hiermer MA. Current Women’s Health Reports. 2002 June. 2(3), 208-213. PMID:12099197
Select Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Fracking From the Landowner’s Perspective. Thomas, MK, Hiermer M, Archer T. Workshop presented at the Health Educator’s Institute. Cambridge, OH. 2015 Oct.
- Messages in Motion: Incorporating song and dance into CHW programs. Thomas, MK, Ramey E, Hankinson M, Hiermer, M, Thomas D. Paper presented at the Center for Sustainable Outreach Community Health Workers Conference, Gulfport, MS. 2004 Mar.
- Project Hoffnung outreach model: Strategies for effective health promotion programs in Amish communities. Thomas, MK, Thomas, DK, Ferguson, S, Sharpe J. Hiermer, M. Paper presented at the 3rd Biennial Cancer, Culture and Literacy Symposium of the Moffitt Cancer Center, Clearwater Beach, FL. 2002 May.
- Project Hoffnung outreach model: Strategies for effective health promotion programs in Amish communities. Thomas MK, Thomas DK, Ferguson S, Hiermer M, Sharpe J. Paper presented at the American Public Health Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA. 2002 Nov.
- Effective Outreach Strategies. Hiermer, M. Plenary presentation at the Ohio Manufacturing Small Business Development Centers (M-SBDC) annual conference, Columbus, OH. 1998 Mar.
Select Invited Presentations
- Life through their lens: Engaging Amish and Mennonite communities to tell their story, their way. Thomas, MK, Beachy J, Kline D, Troyer, Hiermer M, Tarro T. Panel presentation at Ohio University, Athens, OH. 2019 Nov.
- Life through their lens: An Amish and Mennonite photography project. Thomas MK, Hiermer M. Panel presentation, 42nd Annual Appalachian Studies Conference (ASA), University of North Carolina, Asheville, NC. 2019 Mar.
- Dinner speaker at Center for Appalachia Research in Cancer Education (CARE). Perrysville, OH. Hiermer M. 2017 Jun.
Author Showcase. Hiermer M. The Book Loft of German Village, Columbus, OH. 2017 Feb..
- Writers and Poets Showcase. Hiermer M. The Y-Bridge Arts Festival, Zanesville, OH. 2016 Aug.
- Celebrating Our Passion & Impact: A Pioneer Community Health Worker’s Story, Hiermer, M. Closing Luncheon Keynote for The University of Southern Mississippi, Center for Sustainable Health Outreach, Unity Conference,. Atlanta, GA. 2016 Jul.
- Using effective community engagement strategies to enhance the built environment by eliminating sanitary sewer overflows in an urban setting. Hiermer M, Thomas MK, Riegel H. Poster presented at the American Public Health Association, Chicago, IL. 2015 Nov.
- Enterprise-Wide & Program Assessment: Learning It, Loving It, Doing It. Hiermer M. Workshop Presentation for Impact Community Action at the Education and Development Management Institute, Columbus, OH. 2010 Jul.
- Communicating Effectively With All Your Partners – How to Tool Your Message For Any Audience. Hiermer M.. Workshop presentation for IMPACT Community Action, Columbus, OH. 2010 May.
- Building A Business Plan -Tools and Techniques to Make Your Project a Winner. Hiermer M. Workshop presentation at the Ohio Society of Public Health Education (SOPHE), Health Educator’s Institute, Cambridge, OH. 2009 Oct.
- Cultural Competency Practices for Health Disparity Research. Thomas MK, Hiermer M., de la Peña A., Ferguson C. Wright M. Plenary (panel) session at the Ohio Society of Public Health Education (SOPHE), Health Educators’ Institute, Cambridge, OH.2007 Oct.
- Summary of Findings from the National Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE) Transdisciplinary Research Agenda in Health Education for the Elimination or Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. Hiermer, M. Luncheon speaker at the 2007 Symposium of the Latino Empowerment Outreach Network (LEON), Columbus, OH. 2007 Oct.
- Messages in Motion: A new format for cancer awareness messages. Thomas, MK. Ramey E, Hankinson M, Hiermer, M, Thomas DK. Workshop presentation at the Tennessee Cancer Conference at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. 2005 Jun.
- Messages in Motion: Incorporating song and dance into CHW programs. Thomas, MK, Ramey E, Hankinson M., Hiermer, M. Thomas, DK. Workshop presentation at the University of South Florida Community Health Worker conference, Bar Harbor, FL. 2004 Aug.
- Cost Drivers in Manufacturing. Hiermer, M. Ohio Thomas Edison Program, Cleveland Advanced Manufacturing Center, Cleveland, OH. 2002 May.
- Program for Regional Improvement Services for Small Manufacturers (PRISSM) Assessment Tool and Methodology. Hiermer M. Workshop presentation at the Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) National Conference, Orlando, FL. 2000 May.
- Effective Outreach Strategies. Hiermer, M. Workshop presentation at the Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) National Conference, Orlando, FL.1999 May.