Jillian Gustin is a palliative medicine specialist focusing on supporting patients and their families who are facing serious illnesses such as cancer. She is an expert in symptom management and communication related to advance care planning and goals of care. Jillian believes her job as a provider is to alleviate suffering and promote quality of life for any patient regardless of age or stage of disease. She considers it an honor to care for patients and their families when they are often at their most vulnerable.
Jillian is an outdoor enthusiast who loves to ski any place outside of Ohio. She lives in Columbus with her husband, two children and a 100-pound Bernedoodle, Oakley, who thinks he is a lap dog.
- Clinical Associate Professor of Internal Medicine
- Director, Division of Palliative Medicine
- Medical Director, Palliative Medicine at the James Cancer Center
- Past Program Director, Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship at The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Chair, James Cancer Center Serious Illness Conversation Program
- Member, Alliance of Designated Cancer Center Supportive Oncology Workgroup
- Committee member of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) Pediatric Curriculum development for fellowship programs.
- Co-Chair of the ACGME Reporting Milestones Workshop for Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Programs
- Senior Associate for Vitaltalk faculty development communication workshops
- Co-Chair of the AAHPM Curricular Milestone workgroup
- Committee member of the AAHPM Entrustable Professional Activities Workgroup
Education / Honors
- Fellow of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Internal Medicine, The OSU College of Medicine 2016, 2017
- AAHPM Gerald Holman Distinguished Service Award 2020
- El-Jawahri A, LeBlanc TW, Kavanaugh A, Webb JA, Jackson VA, Campbell TC, O’Connor N, Luger SM, Gafford E, Gustin J, Bhatnagar B, Walker AR, Fathi AT, Brunner AM, Hobbs GS, Nicholson S, Davis D, Addis H, Vaughn D, Horick N, Greer JA, Temel JS. Effectiveness of Integrated Palliative and Oncology Care for Patients With Acute Myeloid Leukemia A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncology. 2020 Dec 17. Online ahead of print.
- Barnett MD, Buckholz G, Christensen A, Hwang J, Johnston CB, Landzaat L, Lupu D, Morrison LJ, Okon T, Radwany S, Yang H, Edgar L, Gustin J. Development of Subspecialty-Specific Reporting Milestones for Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Training in the U.S. (opens new window) Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2020 Jul;60(1):151-157. PMID: 31988020
- Jersak T, Gustin J, Humphrey L. Challenges of the Transition: A case of Noncompliance in an Adult with Congenital Heart Disease. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2019 Dec;22(12):1621-1623. PMID: 31090489
- Gustin JL, Yang HB, Radwany SM, Okon TR, Morrison LJ, Levine SK, Hwang JM, Buckholz GT, Barnett MD, Verbeck N, Landzaat LH. Development of Curricular Milestones for Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Training in the US. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019 May;57(5):1009-1017. PMID: 30790721
Rose JL, Leung S, Gustin J, Childers J. Initiating Advance Care Planning in Primary Care: A Model for Success. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2019 Apr;22(4):427-431. PMID: 3048108
- Risaliti C, Gustin J. Palliative Tracheostomy at the End of Life: Utilization in a Patient with Metastatic Cancer. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2017 Oct;20(10):1052-1053. PMID: 28686507
- Landzaat LH, Barnett MD, Buckholz GT, Gustin JL, Hwang JM, Levine SK, Okon T, Radwany S, Yang HB, Encandela J, Morrison LJ. Development of Entrustable Professional Activities for Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Training in the United States. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2017 Oct;54(4):609-616. PMID: 28729009
- Patel PM, Knepel SA, Miller CC, Azimi A, Gustin JL, Hartman A. Evaluation of Emergency Department Management of Opioid-Tolerant Cancer Patients with Acute Pain. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2017 Oct;54(4)501-507. PMID: 28729010
- Alghothani L, Gustin JL. Oxycodone Induced Neurotoxicity Secondary to Concurrent Voriconazole Use in a Cancer Patient. Journal of Opioid Management. 2017 May/June; 13(3):141-2. PMID: 28829515
- Gustin JL, Way D, Wells-Di Gregorio S, McCallister JW. Validation of The Family Meeting Behavioral Skills Checklist: An instrument to assess fellows’ communication skills. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Aug;13(8):1388-93. PMID: 27249513
- Probst DR, Gustin JL, Goodman LF, Lorenz A, Wells-DiGregorio SM. ICU versus Non-ICU Hospital Death: Family Member Complicated Grief, Posttraumatic Stress, and Depressive Symptoms. Journal of Palliative Medicine. J Palliat Med. 2016 April 19(4):387-93. PMID:26828564
- McCallister JW, Gustin JL, Wells-Di Gregorio S, Way DP, Mastronarde JG. Communication skills training curriculum for pulmonary and critical care fellows. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2015 April 12(4):520-5. PMID: 25734699
- Healy S, Hartman A, Gustin J. Opioid-induced androgen deficiency #284. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2014 Nov 17(11):1278-9. PMID: 25303311.
Stowers K, Hartman A, Gustin J. Diltiazem for the Management of Malignancy-Associated Perineal Pain and Tenesmus. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2014 Sept 17(9):1075-7Aug 14. PMID: 25122162
- Johnson RF, Gustin J. Acute Lung Injury and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Requiring Tracheal Intubation and Mechanical Ventilation in the Intensive Care Unit: Impact on Managing Uncertainty for Patient-Centered Communication. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative medicine. 2013;30:569-75. PMID: 23015728
- Johnson RF, Gustin J. Acute renal failure requiring renal replacement therapy in the intensive care unit: Impact on prognostic assessment for shared decision-making. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2011;14:883-9. PMID: 21612503
- Taylor RM, Gustin JL, Wells-DiGregorio SM. Improving Do-Not-Resuscitate Discussions: A framework for physicians. Journal of Supportive Oncology. 2010;8:42-44. PMID: 20235423
- Gustin JL, Tulsky JA. Effective “On-Boarding”: Transitioning from trainee to faculty. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2010; 13:1279-1283. PMID: 20942762