University Ilorin / University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Nigeria
Dr. Israel Kayode Kolawole is an Anesthetist and a Palliative care provider. He is currently a lecturer in the University of Ilorin and an honorary consultant at the University of IIorin Teaching Hospital. The Teaching Hospital, with Dr. Kolawole’s guidance, is currently exploring opportunities of working in partnership with Kwara State Government to extend the scope and reach of palliative care service to the rural communities within the state. As an Anesthetist, he has always demonstrated special interest in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management. His goals are to ensure Government commitment to palliative care in Kwara State, Nigeria and broaden the coverage of palliative care. He strives to ensure regular opioid availability and integration of palliative care into the National health care delivery system.
- Lecturer Department of Anesthesia, University of Ilorin, Ilorin Nigeria.
- Associate lecturer Department of Anaesthesia, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso Nigeria.
- Visiting Consultant Anaesthetist, Ladoke Akintola Teaching Hospital.
- Secretary, Faculty Board of Anesthesia, West African College of Surgeons
- Chairman Kwara Zone of the Hospice and Palliative care Association of Nigeria (HPCAN).
- Member, Board of Directors, African Palliative Care Association (APCA).
- Member, The Jim Nwobodo prize Committee, West African College of Surgeons.
- Chairman, Pain & Palliative care committee, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Nigeria.
- Consultant Anesthetist with the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin Nigeria
- Drafted Postgraduate Diploma in Palliative Medicine curriculum at the request of the University of Ilorin, Nigeria, January 2012
- Head, Pain & Palliative care unit, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin Nigeria, 2009-current
- Advocate / Address to senate of the University of Ilorin, Nigeria on the need to integrate Palliative care into the curricula of the undergraduate health professionals of the University; as well as for the establishment of a Postgraduate Diploma in Palliative Medicine programme, the first in the West African Sub-region, in the University, October 11, 2011
- Drafted Palliative Care Curriculum at the request of the University of Ilorin, Nigeria, for undergraduate health professionals at the University. Curriculum submitted, November 2011; currently receiving consideration of the College of Health Sciences of the University
- Drafted the proposal for the establishment of Pan and Palliative Care Unit of the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital. He was subsequently appointed to coordinate the Unit. The unit has turned out to be one of the most vibrant palliative care units in Nigeria; fully ready to serve as the base for the Clinical component of the proposed University of Ilorin Postgraduate Diploma in Palliative Medicine; the first of its kind in West Africa.
- Initiated and drafted palliative care training curriculum for nurses to be included in the curriculum of the University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital School Of Nursing.
- Co-investigator, IASP grant supported Pain and Palliative Care Education for Health Professionals in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. The training which is to run for 3 days every month for 10 calendar months started in September 2011-current
- Advocacy role for ensuring regular opioids availability by virtue of his position as Secretary of Society for the Study of Pain, Nigeria (SSPN), July 2008 – July 2011
Education / Honors
- Graduate, International Palliative Care Leadership Development Initiative, The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice, San Diego, CA, and OhioHealth, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2012-2014
- Diploma in Palliative Medicine (Dip. Pall. Med), University of Cape Town, South Africa 2010
- West African College of Surgeons (F.W.A.C.S), West African Postgraduate Medical College 1997
- Postgraduate Diploma in Anaesthesia (DA), Ahmmadu Bello University, Zaria 1993
- Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Medicine (MB; BS) University of Ilorin, 1987
- G.C.E. Advanced Level Examination, University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate in Collaboration with Kwara State College of Technology, Ilorin, Nigeria, 1982
- West African School Certificate, (WAEC), 1980
- First School Leaving Certificate, Local schools Management Board, 1975
- Fellowship training in Anesthesia with the West African College of Surgeons in 1997
- Kolawole I.K, Suleiman Z.A and Olafimihan K.O. Palliative care in developing countries: University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital experience. Abstract published in the maiden edition of BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care 2011; 1: (Supplement 1) A16.
- Kolawole I.K. and Abdur- Rahman L.O (2011). Parental experiences, Coping strategies and Level of satisfaction following Paediatric Day- case surgery in a Tertiary Health Institution in Nigeria. African Journal of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care; 11, (1): 15-18.
- Adudu OP, Kolawole I.K, Ekumankama O and Onyeka T. Awareness of paediatric acute pain service among anaesthesia residents in tertiary hospitals in Nigeria. Journal of Medicine & Biomedical Research 2010; 9: 33-41.
- Abdur-Rahman LO and Kolawole IK (2010): Reasons for cancellation of elective paediatric surgery cases. Tropical Journal of Health Sciences; 17 (2): 10-13.
- Abdur-Rahman L.O, Kolawole I.K, Adeniran J.O, Nasir A.A, Taiwo J.O and Odi T. (2009): Paediatric day case surgery: Experience from a tertiary health institution in Nigeria. Annals of African Medicine; 8 (3): 163-167.
- Kolawole I.K and Rahman G.A. (2006): Emergency thyroidectomy in a patient with severe upper airway obstruction caused by goitre: Case for regional anaesthesia. Journal of the National Medical Association; 98 (1): 86-89.
- Kolawole I.K, Adesina M.D and Olaoye I.O. (2006): Intercostal nerve block for mastectomy in two patients with advanced breast malignancy. Journal of the National Medical Association; 98 (3): -453.
- Kolawole I.K and Ojo J.A. (2006): Knowledge and attitude of Nurses to postoperative pain management in a Nigerian teaching hospital. Nigeria Journal of Surgery; 12 (1&2): 12-19.
- Kolawole I.K and Rahman G.A. (2003): Cervical plexus block for thyroidectomy. South African Journal of Anaesthesia and Analgesia; 9: 10, 13-17.
- Kolawole I.K: And Fawole A.A. (2003): Postoperative pain management following caesarean section in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH) Ilorin, Nigeria. West. Afr. J. Med; 22 (4): 305-309.
- Kolawole I.K, Suleiman Z.A, Olafimihan K.A, Adegboye K.A. ‘’Palliative care in cancer: Experience from a tertiary health institution in Nigeria’’. Presented as a poster discussion at the 9th International Cancer conference of the African Organization for Research and Training in Cancer, (AORTIC) in Durban, South Africa. November 21 -24 2013.
- Kolawole I.K, Suleiman Z.A, Olafimihan K.A, Adegboye K.A ‘’Herbal Medicine use by cancer patients in a tertiary health institution in Nigeria’’. Presented as a poster discussion at the 9th International Cancer conference of the African Organization for Research and Training in Cancer, (AORTIC) in Durban, South Africa. November 21 – 24 2013.
- Kolawole. I.K, Suleiman Z.A, Olafimihan K.O. Prevalence and socio-demographic predictors of Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use by cancer patients. Presented at the African Palliative Care Association/Hospice Palliative Care Association Of South Africa (APCA/HPCA) Conference in Johannesburg. South Africa. September 17 – 20, 2013.
- Kolawole. I.K, (September 17 – 20, 2013). ‘’Developing a postgraduate curriculum for palliative medicine in a Developing Country: The Nigeria experience’’. Presented as a poster discussion at the African Palliative Care Association/Hospice Palliative Care Association Of South Africa (APCA/HPCA) Conference in Johannesburg. South Africa. September 17 – 20, 2013.
- Setting up palliative care services in a Tertiary Health Institution. Guest Lecture presented at The Critical Care Refresher Course organized by The National Cardiothoracic Centre, Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Accra Ghana. 10th July 2012. Integrating Palliative Care into Kwara state Health care system: the time is now. Guest Lecture presented at the Sensitization Workshop on Pain and Palliative care. Organized by the office of the Special Adviser to Kwara state Governor on Secondary Health care November 2012.
- Integrating palliative care into National Health Care System: What approach? Lecture presented at the Annual Conference of the Hospice and Palliative care of Nigeria (HPCAN). June 2012.
- Role of Palliative care in cancer management: Lecture presented at the 2011 Pharmacy week programme, organized by the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria, 2011
- Kolawole I.K, Odeigha L.O and Makanjuola A.B. Pin in HIV/AIDS: U.I.T.H. experience. Paper presented at the International Primary Palliative care Research Forum, Cape Town, South Africa – September 13-14 2010