Head of Department, Pain & Palliative Medicine Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta
Yahoo IM: fooyebola
In 2002, Dr. Folaju Oyebola started the first hospital based Palliative Care project in Nigeria by integrating pain and palliative care services into an existing Tertiary Health Care hospital. Subsequently in 2006, pain management, care and support for People Living with HIV/AIDS were added to the services. At present, the average number of patient cases managed by the Centre is 2,000.
The community outreach includes home based palliative care which offers grief and bereavement services at the patients home. In 2008, an Annual Clinical Exchange program was created to offer palliative care education and training to the hospital staff. The training is always extended to staff of sister hospitals that assist in the set-up of any new palliative care services. Recently Geriatric palliative care has been added to the list of services offered. The hospital project is in collaboration with an NGO named – Community Hospice and Palliative Care Centre Nigeria (CHPCC) and the vision is to extend the services to every community and rural areas across Nigeria.
Download and Read Folaju’s Personal Story (466 KB)
- Consultant, Anesthesia / Palliative Care Physician
- Consultant and Trainer to the Network of People living With HIV/AIDS in Nigeria (NEPWHAN), Abuja. Nigeria, 2011
- Member of the HPCAN advocate team at the national level which enabled the health ministry to mandate every Nigeria Tertiary Health Institutions to set-up a palliative care Unit in their hospitals, 2008
- First Nigerian Physician to have a full-time pain and palliative medicine post and department, 2008
- Member of the HPCAN team that led an advocacy campaign to meet Health Minister, 2007
- First Palliative Care Physician in Nigeria, 2006
- Member, Nigeria Opioid Country Team, APCA, 2006
- Member, Ad-hoc team that drafted the National palliative care guidelines for HIV/AIDS
- Founding Partner of the Hospice and Palliative Care Association of Nigeria (HPCAN).
- First National General Secretary, Hospice and Palliative Care Association of Nigeria (HPCAN)
Education / Honors:
- Leader, International Palliative Care Leadership Development Initiative, San Diego, CA, USA, 2010-2011
- Palliative Care Education & Practice, Harvard Medical School Centre for Palliative Care, Boston, MA. USA, 2011
- Master of Philosophy Degree in Palliative Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town. South Africa, 2008
- Master of Science Degree in Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Ibadan, Ibadan. Nigeria, 1999
- Diploma in Anesthesia, West Africa College of Surgeon, 1993
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, 1987
- Clinical Placement Servizio Cure Palliative Lugano, Switzerland, 2010
- Clinical Placement Jules Bordet Institute Oncology and Supportive Care. Brussels. Belgium, 2010
- Clinical Placement St. Christopher’s Hospice London. UK, 2009
- Clinical Placement St. Elizabeth Hospice Ipswich England.UK, 2009
- Clinical Placement Wisdom Hospice Rochester, Kent. London UK, 2008
- Clinical Placement Ellenor – Lions Hospice North fleet, London. UK, 2008
- Clinical Placement St. Christopher’s Hospices London. UK, 2008
- Clinical Placement Palliative Care at the Hospice Uganda, Kampala. Uganda, 2006
- Clinical Placement HIV/AIDS Palliative Care and Management at Mildmay International – Kampala, Uganda, 2006
- David Oliver, Dayo Olupitan, Folaju O,Oyebola, (2011); Developing Palliative Care In Nigeria – a collaborative approach . European Journal of Palliative Care , November/December 2011. Volume 18. Number 6. Pp. 298-301
- O Odunfa, I.C Onaga, J.O Soyinka, F.O Oyebola, A.O Folarin, A.A Awe, O.O Odunfa (2011),Comparative Bioavailability and Tolerability Study of Commercial Artesunate and Amodiaquine Tablets in healthy Males in South-Western Nigeria. International Journal of Drug Formulation and Research, IJDFR volume 2 Issue 5, Sep.-Oct. 2011
- Folaju O.Oyebola, (2010); Hospital based palliative care approach to HIV/AIDS – a Nigeria experience – Retrovirology 2010 7(Suppl 1):P94.www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1724-4690-7-S1-P94pdf
- Folaju O.Oyebola (2003) Medical Informatics in the developing countries: Perspectives from Nigeria, Published in Biomedical Informatics Today (BMIT)- http://www.bmis.org/ebmit/2003 autumn 40.pdf
- Folaju O.Oyebola, Joyce Igbinova (2003), Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta Hospice and Palliative Care Project. Cited in Palliative Care in Sub-sharan Africa Publication by Richard Hardings et al, King’s College University London
- Folaju O.Oyebola (2008), Preface to the Book “Guide to Youth Reproductive Health and HIV/AIDS Awareness” by YAHSAC (PETS) Batch A 2008/2009 Publication by Gateway Printing Company Ltd Oke-Ilewo, Abeokuta. Ogun-State
- 07/2011 International Palliative Care Leadership Development Initiative (LDI) – How relevant? ; Hospice and Palliative Care Association of Nigeria (HPCAN) Scientific Conference (abstract)
- 06/2011 - Facilitator/Trainer of Home Based Care Training for PLWHAs as Home Based Care Volunteers – Network of People living With HIV/AIDS in Nigeria (NEPWHAN), Abuja. Nigeria
- 03/2011 Resource person at the Basic Palliative care training organized by the Pain and Palliative Care Unit of the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin. Nigeria.
- 01/2011 Local Faculty and facilitator of "Basic and Advance Training Palliative Care Course" for Multi-professionals at the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta, Nigeria, in conjunction with Dr. David Oliver a Consultant in Palliative Medicine from the University of Kent, UK.
- 07/2010 Fundamentals of Pain management in Palliative care and Use of Morphine and other Opiates in Palliative care – Hospice and Palliative Care Association of Nigeria (HPCAN) Scientific Conference (abstract)
- 06/2010 Faculty member at the Education and Symposium of the Hospice & Palliative Care Association of Nigeria (HPCAN) Annual Scientific Conference, Enugu. Nigeria.
- 09/2009 Palliative Care for Pediatric HIV/AIDS in a Nigeria Hospital-Presenter and CHI“s Scholarship Recipient Children’s Hospice International World Congress, Cape Town International Conference Centre, South Africa (abstract)
- 09/2009 Palliative Care Needs Assessment of Inmates at the Juvenile Remand Home. Nigeria – Presenter and CHI“s Scholarship Recipient Children’s Hospice International World Congress, Cape Town International Conference Centre, South Africa (abstract)
- 09/2009 Guest Speaker and Resource person- Pain Management in “HIV/AIDS” at the University of Maryland Baltimore USA – IHV Care and Support Training South-East Region – Enugu. Nigeria.
- 09/2008 17th International Congress on Palliative Care, Montréal, Canada “Palliative Care for HIV/AIDS patients – A Nigeria Hospital (abstract)
- 09/2008 Resource person and Guest Lecturer at the “Palliative Care Training Course for Nurses” at the Catholic Hospital Lantoro, Abeokuta. Nigeria.
- 08/2008 HIV/AIDS Emerging Truly A Chronic Disease – A Nigeria Antiretroviral (ARV) Clinic experience – XVII International AIDS Conference, Mexico City (abstract)
- 07/2008 Non-Pain Symptoms control in palliative care and Basic Counseling Skills and approach to terminally- ill Cancer Patients – Society of Oncology and Cancer Research of Nigeria (SOCRON) International Conference on Modern Cancer Management – University College Hospital, Ibadan, Oyo State Nigeria (abstract)
- 07/2008 Member of Faculty of the 2008 International Conference on Modern Cancer Management (palliative care track) at the College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan. Nigeria.
- 04/2008 Resource person and facilitator of “Introduction to Palliative Care Training Course” for Nurses and Social workers at the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta, Nigeria, in conjunction with Dr. David Oliver a Consultant in Palliative Medicine from the University of Kent, UK.
- 09/2007 Resource Person and facilitator for the “One Week Multidisciplinary Course in Palliative Care – An Introductory Course” organized by the Centre for Palliative care studies held at the School of Theology Seminary, University of Ibadan, Ibadan. Nigeria.
- 01/2007 Resource person and Director of the organized Seminar by the Hospice and Palliative Care Association of Nigeria (HPCAN) – National Hospital Abuja, Nigeria.
- 2007 The Perception and Needs Assessment of Home Based Palliative Care among Advanced disease Patients attending Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta.at the African Palliative Care (APCA) Conference Nairobi, Kenya (abstract)
- 02/2005 Facilitator to the Seminar / Workshop organized by the Palliative Care Initiative of Nigeria of the College of Medicine, University of Ibadan. Ibadan. Nigeria.
- 01/2005 Host of the Training of Trainers Seminar/Workshop facilitated by BESO-UK Volunteer, Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Dr. James Rodgers of Borders General Hospital Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
- 2005 Challenges of Setting-up Palliative care in Nigeria- a paper presented at the Hospice and Palliative Care South Africa (HPCSA)Conference;” Soul, Mind and Spirit”. Cape Town South Africa
- 09/2004 Resource person at the Workshop in Palliative Care for the National Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) – Press House, Ikeja, Lagos. Nigeria.
- 08/2004 Resource Person and Facilitator at the Workshop and Training of the Nurses in Palliative Care at the Lagos State Health Management Board (LSHMB).
- “The Role of Science in Information Society” (RSIS) Fellowship award and participant at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) – Geneva organized Pre- World Summit of Information Society, 2003
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) Fellowship Award to Institute Jules Bordet Brussels for Oncology and Supportive Care, 2009
- European School of Oncology (ESO) Fellowship Award to Servizio Curie Palliative Lugano, Switzerland for Oncology and Palliative Care Research, 2009
Please Leave a Review or Suggestion