Chief, Dept. of Symptom Control & Palliative Care, Instituto de Cancerogia, INCAN, Guatamala
Director, UNIPALIA Sanatorio Nuestra Señora Del Pilar
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Facebook: Eva Durate
Dr. Eva Duarte founded, in 2005, and actually directs the Department of Symptom Control and Palliative Medicine at the Instituto de Cancerogia (INCAN), the non-profit Cancer Center of Reference for Guatemala.
She founded, in 2013, and actually directs the UNIPALIA, the Palliative Care Department at Sanatorio Nuestra Señora Del Pilar in Guatemala.
She is the President of the Guatemalan Association of Palliative Medicine, formed in 2013.
She has impulsed the post-graduate education in palliative care the Faculty of Medicine at the University of San Carlos, Guatemala through a Post-Graduate Palliative Care course for faculty professors. During 2012-2014, two cohorts with approximately 70 students received 350 hours of semi-presential education in palliative care.
She directs an undergraduate education palliative care course for medical students at Mariano Galvez University and teaches palliative care to Anesthesiology and Internal Medicine residents in an elective practice modality.
Download and Read Eva’s Personal Story (210 KB)
- Academic Coordinator, the Study of Especialization, University Faculty of Medicine, San Carlos University, Guatemala.
- Professor, Palliative Care 4th Year Faculty of Medicine; Mariano Gálves University, Guatemala.
- Professor, Psychosocial Attention Course, Latin American Association for Palliative Care ALCP.
- Professor, Palliative Care Elective Practice for Medicine Students of the following Universities in Guatemala: San Carlos, Mariano Gálvez and Rafael Landívar
- Professor, Palliative Care Elective Practice for Residents of Anesthesia and Internal Medicine from Hospital Roosevelt, Hospital General San Juan de Dios and Centro Médico Militar in Guatemala
- Member of New Health Foundation, Sevilla, Spain.
- 2005- Founder and Chief of the Palliative Care Unit at the Cancer Institute of Guatemala INCAN
- 2006-date Professor of Palliative Care for the elective rotation included in Anesthesia and Internal Medicine Residency Programs.
- 2008-2012: Fellow, Pain and Policies Studies Group to study pain treatment barriers and develop a national plan to improve Opioid Access and Availability in Guatemala.
- 2009-date: Professor of Palliative Care Course for 4th year Medicine Students at University Mariano Galvez of Guatemala. February 2012: Advocate to Introduce Immediate Release Oral Morphine in Guatemala, available from February 2012.
- February 2012: Founding Member of the National Guatemalan Commission of Palliative Care that advocates for the inclusion of Palliative Care in the Guatemalan Public Health System.
- 2012-date Professor of Palliative Care Clinical Practice for Students of the last year of Psychology Career at University Del Valle, Guatemala.
- 2012-to-date Member of Honor of the Founding group of the Palliative Care Unit at Hospital Roosevelt, Guatemala.
- 2012-to-date Founder and Chief of the Palliative Care Unit at Sanatorio Nuestra Señora del Pilar.
- February 2013: Founder of the Palliative Care Research Group with the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Pharmacy of USAC, and the Cancer Institute.
- October 2013: Founding Member, and first President of the Guatemalan Association of Palliative Medicine.
- November 2013: Principal Investigator at DIGI (General Direction of Research at Universidad San Carlos Guatemala) for the Project: “Situation Analysis of Palliative Care in Guatemala and Policy Proposals”.
- 2011-2013 Academic Coordinator and Consultant of Pain and Palliative Care Education at the University of San Carlos Post-Graduate School.
- 2013-to-date Professor of Elective Practice in Palliative Care at the Faculty of Medicine of the following Universities: San Carlos, Rafael Landívar and Mariano Gálvez.
Education / Honors
- Graduate, International Palliative Care Leadership Development Initiative, The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice, San Diego, CA, and OhioHealth, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2012-2014
- General Physician and Surgeon, Universidad San Carlos, de Guatemala
- Masters in Medical Psychology (Summa Cum Laude), Universidad Mariano Galvez, de Guatemala
- Fellowship, Pain Policies Studies Group, 2008 – 2012
- International Clinical Observer: MD Anderson Palliative Care Unit, 2005.
- International Palliative Care Fellowship: San Diego Hospice and the Institute of Palliative Medicine, 2010
- Scholar Fellowship at Clinica Universitaria, Navarra, Spain 2010.
- EPEC “Train the Trainers Course” Guatemala, Professor Dr. Lynn Kobiersky, Canada, sponsored by the IAHPC, 2012
- Specialization Course in Geriatrics and Palliative Care, Faculty of Medicine, Post-Graduate Studies Direction, San Carlos University, Guatemala.
- 2010 – To Date – President of the Guatemalan Association of Neurosciences.
- 2005 – To Date – Member of IAHPC International Association of Hospice and Palliative Care
- 2006 – To Date – Member of ALCP Latin American Association of Palliative Care
- 2013 – 2016 – President, Guatemalan Association of Palliative Medicine
- 2010 Member of the Advisory Committee for the V Latin American Congress of Palliative Care, Buenos Aires Argentina.
- 2012 Member of the Advisory Committee of the VI Latin American Palliative Care Congress at Curitiba, Brasil.
- 2013 Member of the Advisory Committee of the VII Latin American Palliative Care Congress that will take place in Medellin, Colombia 2014.
- Duarte Eva, Hidalgo M, Granados MA Chapter 8 “Opioids in Cancer Pain” October 2009 Invited Author for “Opioid Analgesics Guide for Latin America by the Latin American Association of Palliative Care ALCP Caracas, Venezuela.
- Duarte Eva, Gramajo José, Manual Guía Didáctica, Estudio de Especialización en Cuidados Paliativos, Facultad de Medicina, Escuela de Estudios de Post-Grado, Universidad San Carlos de Guatemala, Febrero 2012.
- Duarte Eva, Liere Anne, October 2012 Analysis of the Norms 16-2002 and 17-2002 as Barriers for Opioid Access in Guatemala, with a Change Proposal. Supported and Sponsored by DIGI Direction of Research University of San Carlos, Guatemala.
- Eva Rosina Duarte, Antonio Noguera, Sriram Yennurajalingam, Isabel Torres-Vigil, DrPH, Henrique A fonseca Parsons, Alejandra Palma, Sofia Bunge, J. Lynn Palmer, Eduardo Bruera, Decisional Control Preferences, Disclosure of Information Preferences, and Satisfaction Among Hispanic Patients With Advanced Cancer Journal of Pain and Symptom Management Accepted 16 June 2013, published online 16 September 2013.
- Eva Duarte, Ana Carvajal, Nezka Hribernik, Alvaro Sanz Rubiales, and Carlos Centeno. The Spanish Version of the Edmonton Symptom Assessment System Revised (ESAS-r): First Psychometric Analysis involving Patients with Advanced Cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management Jan 2013 45:1 129-136
- Duarte Eva, Liere Anne, Samayoa Victor, November 2013 Proposal of a National Palliative Care Policy based on a Situation Analysis. Supported and Sponsored by DIGI, Direction of Research University of San Carlos, Guatemala.
- 2006 “Development of a Palliative Care Program in a Cancer Hospital” III Latin American Congress of Palliative Care Margarita, Venezuela.
- 2008, “Use of the NCCN Guidelines as a tool for starting a Palliative Care Service” Co-Speaker, Dr. Juan Diego Harris, Canada
- IV Congress of the Latin American Association for Palliative Care, Lima, Perú 2008
- 2012, Curitiba Brasil 2012 Latin American Congress of Palliative Care ALCP Best Oral Presentation, 1st Award Oral Presentation Care: Carvajal A, Hibernik N, Duarte, E, Sans Rubiales A, Centeno C. “Revised Spanish Version of the Edmonton Symptom Assessment Scale (ESAS) First Psychometric Analysis involving advanced Cancer Patients”
- 2012 ASCO Annual Meeting, Decision-Making Preferences of Advanced Cancer Hispanic Patients from the United States and Latin America, June, 2012
- 2013, Medellin, Colombia: VII Latin American Congress of Palliative Care: Experts Table: Advocacy in Palliative Care; presented with Emilio Herrera Molina (Spain) and Patricia Bonilla (Venezuela).
- 2013; Medellin, Colombia: VII Latin American Congress of Palliative Care Round Table: “Is your team suffering of Atrophy?” Presented with Roberto Wenk (Argentina) and Anne de Godoy (Guatemala).
- 2013: Medellin, Colombia: VII Latin American Congress of Palliative Care Poster Presentation: Psicosocial Guides in a Cancer Reference Hospital
- 2013: Medellin, Colombia: VII Latin American Congress of Palliative Care Poster Presentation: Professional Video as an educational resource in a Palliative Care Unit
Please Leave a Review or Suggestion