Coordinator, Palliative Care Unit
Kenyatta National Hospital
Dr Munyoro coordinates the palliative care unit at the Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya. The unit serves to offer palliative care education to all local healthcare workers. She is particularly interested in improving pain management for both adults and children, especially those with life threatening illnesses for whom a good quality of life is a priority. She has lectured in various venues in Kenya and hopes to get Pain and Palliative care curriculums offered to all healthcare workers in Kenya.
- Member; Hospital Transfusion Committee, Kenyatta National Hospital
- Board Member and Vice Chairperson, ‘Hope for Cancer Kids’ a group that lobbies for the welfare of children with cancer
- Co-Founder/Coordinator, Palliative Care Unit Kenyatta National Hospital; first Palliative care unit in a government hospital, 2007
- Consultant, Introduction and offering support for the use of Oral Morphine in the Burns Unit at Kenyatta National hospital
Education / Honors
- Graduate, International Palliative Care Leadership Development Initiative, The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice, San Diego, CA, and OhioHealth, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2012-2014
- Trainer of End-of- life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) International Training Program, 2009
- Multi-professional Week in Palliative Care St Christopher’s Hospice London, 2006
- Post-graduate training University of Cardiff Diploma in Palliative Medicine
- Post-graduate training, University of Nairobi Medical School Department of Surgery, 1991
- Medical Degree, University of Nairobi Medical School, 1985
- CEGE E.M 2008. Palliative Care in Kenya; Making it real. The Nairobi Hospital Proceedings Volume 11 , No 2 , April/ June 2008
- Technical person on a research project. Quality of Life in Cancer patients in Kenya. Lead researcher Dr Zipporah Ali.
- Technical person on a research on Quality of life in cancer patients with cancer wounds. Lead researcher Joyce Marete.
- Salzburg Open Medical Institute & Open Society Foundations Seminar in Palliative Care in Cancer, September 2010.
- Joint paper, A focus on Essential Pain Medication Accessibility; the Kenyan Situation, at the Advocacy Workshop for Palliative Care in Africa; Jun 27th – 29th 2006. Oral Presentation.