Founder / Clinical Director, MEHAC Foundation
Consultant in Psycho Oncology, Department of Oncology and Palliative Care, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, Kerala, India
Dr. Chitra Venkateswaran is faculty at the Department of Oncology and Palliative Care of Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi where the focus is on referrals from other physicians, nurses and social workers addressing the psychological and social issues of patients and families. She also devotes her time to the palliative care issues, and supervising junior physicians on symptom management. She is also the founder/clinical director of Mehac Foundation, a not for profit based on a palliative care model. There they strive to deliver exceptional care to improve the quality of life of people in the community, focusing on psychological issues. The goal is to improve the psychosocial component in any person with a special interest to facilitate integration of psychological issues in palliative care.
Download and Read Chitra’s Personal Story (225 KB)
- Professor in Psychiatry, Consultant Psycho Oncologist, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi
- National Faculty in Palliative Care in India, Indian Association of Palliative Care
- Faculty, Cairdeas, International Palliative Care Trust, Scotland, UK
- Palliative Care Psychiatrist, India
- Initiated Psycho Oncology clinics in Pain and Palliative Care Society, Calicut, 2003
- Initiated Psycho Oncology clinics in Amrita, Institute of Medical Sciences, 2008
- UICC International Fellow, Leeds University (Clinical Research), St James Hospital , Leeds, UK July 2006- June 2008
- Contributor for the development of Palliative Tool kit by Help the Hospices, UK
Education / Honors
- Graduate, International Palliative Care Leadership Development Initiative, The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice, San Diego, CA, and OhioHealth, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2012-2014
- MD (Psychiatry), Government Medical College , Calicut, Kerala 1999
- MBBS, Government medical College, Trivandrum, Kerala 1989-1990
- Thekkumpurath P, Venkateswaran C, Kumar M, Newsham A, Bennett MI( 2009). Screening for psychological distress in palliative care: performance of touch screen questionnaires compared with semi structured psychiatric interview. J Pain Symptom Manage. Oct;38(4):597-605
- Thekkumpurath P, Venkateswaran C, Kumar M, Bennett MI( 2008). Screening for psychological distress in palliative care: a systematic review. J Pain Symptom Manage. Nov;36(5):520-8
- Chaturvedi S.K, Venkateswaran C(2008). New Research in Psycho-Oncology. Current Opinion in Psychiatry; 21: 206-210.
- Venkateswaran C, Kumar TM, Thekkumpurath P, Bennett M (2008). Making sense of end–of–life distress. European Journal Of Palliative Care; 15(1): 17-21
- Venkateswaran C, Kumar T Manoj (2006). Psycho-oncology in India: Emerging trends from Kerala. Indian Journal of Palliative Care; 12 (1): 34-8.
- Bollini P, Venkateswaran C, Suresh Kumar K (2004). Palliative care in Kerala, India: a model for resource-poor settings. Onkologie Apr; 27(2):138-42.
- Rajagopal MR, Venkateswaran C (2003). Palliative care in India: successes and limitations. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother;17(3-4):121-8.
- Kumar T M, Venkateswaran C, Thekkumpurath P (2008). Psychological interventions in cancer pain management. In Textbook of Clinical Pain Management: Cancer Pain Ed: Bennett M & Yuan C. Hodder Arnold, UK
- Bollini P, Venkateswaran C, Suresh Kumar K,(2001). Developing Palliative Care in Kerala’ in a book on’ Palliative care in Developing Countries. Edited by Professor Tannerberger
- Venkateswaran C. “Palliative Care Models for Mental Illness – A Challenge”. 13th World Congress of The European Association for Palliative Care. Prague, Czech Republic, May 30 – June 2, 2013.
- Venkateswaran C, Thekkumpurath P, Kumar TM, Bennett M. Identifying end of life distress – first step in psychosocial care pathway. 9th World Congress in Psycho oncology, London, Poster, September 2008
- Thekkumpurath P, Venkateswaran C, Kumar TM, Bennett M. Detecting psychological distress in palliative care. 9th World Congress in Psycho oncology, London, 16-20, Poster, September, 2008
- Venkateswaran C, Thekkumpurath P, Kumar TM, Bennett M. Distress at the End of Life- Making sense from the Psychiatric point of view. 10th Congress of the European Association of Palliative Care. Budapest, Poster, June, 2007
- Thekkumpurath P, Venkateswaran C, Kumar TM, Bennett M. Detecting Psychological Distress in Palliative Care. 10th Congress, European Association of Palliative Care. Budapest, Poster, June, 2007
- Mason S, Venkateswaran C, Kumar TM, Ellershaw JE. Learner Centered Communication skills training for Undergraduate Medical Students: Cross Cultural Comparisons. 10th Congress of the European Association of Palliative Care, Budapest, Poster, June, 2007
- Kumar TM, Thekkumpurath P, Mitchell A, Venkateswaran C. Psycho social aspects of Palliative Care: From Screening to Care Pathways. 9th World Congress in Psycho Oncology, London, September 2007
- Depression in Cancer’ at the International Conference in Palliative Care by Indian Association of Palliative Care , Chennai In February 2006
- Thekkumpurath P, Narayanan D, Venkateswaran C, Ramakrishnan J, Kumar TM. Screening for psychological distress in palliative care: Preliminary results of a validation study in Kerala, India. 8th World Congress of Psycho oncology, Venice, Poster, October, 2006
- Venkateswaran C. “New Directions in Psycho oncology”. 8th World Congress in Psych Oncology Venice, October, 2006
- Kumar T M, Venkateswaran C, Bostock N, Thekkumpurath P, Bennett M. Screening for psychosocial distress- Cross cultural issues. 8th World Congress of Psycho oncology, Venice, Poster, October, 2006
- “Psycho oncology- The present scene in India” at the International Conference of Palliative Care by Indian Association of Palliative Care in Guwahati , February 2005
- Venkateswaran C, Geetha M, Meenakumari V, Kumar T M. Communication skills training-an innovative model for the developing world. 7th World Psycho oncology Congress, Copenhagen, Poster, August, 2004
- ‘Developing “Psycho oncology”‘ in Calicut at the International Workshop on Community Participation at Manjeri, Kerala, India ,November, 2004
Please Leave a Review or Suggestion