Carl Johan Fürst is professor of palliative medicine at Lund University, Sweden. He has a background in oncology and has practiced palliative medicine for the last decades. His academic training includes a doctorate in medical epidemiology at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm. He had an adjunct chair in palliative medicine at the Institute until the he joined the present position as full professor at Lund University. He has published in the areas of radiation epidemiology, and more recently on topics related to palliative care such as quality indicators, quality register, and bereavement, particularly on teenagers losing a parent to cancer.
Dr Fürst was one of the driving forces behind one of the country’s first and best renown palliative care units at Stockholms Sjukhem which became an important platform for teaching in palliative care to medical students at the Karolinska Institutet and to postgraduate training for physicians. His present academic focus in the areas of teaching, research and development, relates to quality aspects of palliative care, including symptoms, clinical guidelines, communication skills, leadership and bereavement. Dr Fürst was Invited faculty at the Leadership Development Initiative (LDI) in San Diego, USA with a special responsibility the development of a mentor curriculum.
- Professor of palliative medicine, Lund University
- Consultant in palliative medicine, Palliative care, Region Skåne
- Co-chair International collaborative for best care of the dying patient
- Chief editor Swedish Journal of Palliative Care
- Past chair, Swedish National Palliative Care Guidelines
- Past chair, National Council for Palliative Care (NRPV)
- Past chair, Swedish Palliative Care Register
- Invited faculty Leadership Development Initiative (LDI), San Diego, USA
Education / Honors
- Adjunct professor of palliative medicine, Karolinska Institutet
- Specialist in medical oncology
- PhD in medical epidemiology
- The Mogren stipend 2014 to promote education and research
- Jacobsen J, Schelin MEC, Fürst CJ. Too much too late? Optimizing treatment through conversations over years, months, and days. Acta Oncol. 2021 Aug;60(8):957-960.
- Andersson S, Martinsson L, Fürst CJ, Brännström M. End-of-life discussions in residential care homes improves symptom control: a national register study. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2021 Jun 23.
- Bylund-Grenklo T, Birgisdóttir D, Beernaert K, Nyberg T, Skokic V, Kristensson J, Steineck G, Fürst CJ, Kreicbergs U. Acute and long-term grief reactions and experiences in parentally cancer-bereaved teenagers. BMC Palliat Care. 2021 May 27;20(1):75.
- Klarare A, Lind S, Hansson J, Fossum B, Fürst CJ, Lundh Hagelin C. Leadership in specialist palliative home care teams: A qualitative study. J Nurs Manag. 2020 Jan;28(1):102-111