Alice Bass, MSN, APRN, CPNP-PC, is a pediatric nurse practitioner with the Advanced Illness Management (AIM) team at Nationwide Children’s. Alice received her BA from Miami University, Oxford, Ohio and her MSN from Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA. She holds a sub-specialty in pediatric palliative care through her MSN program and is board certified as a pediatric nurse practitioner – primary care through PNCB.
Prior to joining Nationwide Children’s, Alice was a pediatric hematology and oncology nurse. At Nationwide Children’s, Alice helped initiate ELNEC-Peds education for the institution, helping to promote awareness and education on pediatric palliative care for hospital staff with over 400 nurses and other disciplines trained since 2016. She is a member of AAHPM, and has served as the pediatric SIG chair for the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA) since 2017. She has a strong interest in improving clinical documentation in the field and helps co-lead the Pediatric Palliative Care Subcommittee within Epic’s Palliative Care Steering Board. She is a certified epic builder (2020) and serves as the program’s data coordinator, helping to review quality metrics within patient encounters in order to make real time changes to improve patient care. Alice’s goals are to merge her passions to hopefully contribute to the national knowledge that can help push the field of pediatric palliative care forward.
- Pediatric SIG Chair, Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA)
- Advanced Practice Palliative Nursing, 2nd Edition – 1st author on Chapter on Pediatric Ambulatory Clinics (2nd author: Vanessa Battista, APRN – CHOP) – to be published 2021
- AAP Section on Hospice and Palliative Medicine Quarterly Newsletter, Article on Open Notes, co-author (with Conrad Williams, MD – MUSC) – published May 2021
- Patel P, Bass A, Sandesara I, Humphrey L. Interpreting for Difficult Conversations: A Quality Improvement Project. Poster session presented at: AAP National Conference & Exhibit; 2020 Oct 2-5; Virtual Conference
- Davis JAM, Bass A, Humphrey L, Texter K, Garee A. (2019). Early Integration of Palliative Care in Families of Children with Single Ventricle Congenital Heart Defects: A Quality Improvement Project to Enhance Family Support. Pediatric Cardiology. 41, 114-122. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00246-019-02231-y
- Bhakta H, Bass A, Jacobowski N. Creation of a Delirium Bundle: A Pediatric Palliative Care Team QI Project to Standardize Pediatric Delirium Management. Poster session presented at: AAP National Conference & Exhibit; 2019 Oct 25-29; New Orleans, LA.
- Davis JA, Bass A, Garee A, Texter K, Humphrey L. Early Integration of Palliative Care in Families of Children with Single Ventricle Heart Defects. Poster session presented at: AAP National Conference & Exhibit; 2019 Oct 25-29; New Orleans, LA.
- Bass A. (2019). Healthy Communication to Decrease Caregiver Distress. Everything Matters In Patient Care. 34(1), 19.
- Bass A, Rossfeld Z, Humphrey L. Balancing Patient Needs and Team Self-Care: A Standardized Triage Tool. Poster session presented at: CAPC National Seminar; 2018 Nov 8-10; Orlando, FL.
- Bass A. (2016). “Advanced Directives: Voicing Your Wishes.” 700 Children’s Blog, 03 Nov 2016, www.nationwidechildrens.org/family-resources-education/700childrens/2016/11/advance-directives-voicing-your-wishes
- Bass A (Presented March 2021). Pediatric Palliative Care State of the Science. The Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Care, Virtual – Panelist alongside multidisciplinary panel to present latest current journal articles that were most impactful to the field in 2020. Co-presenters: Meghan Marsac, PhD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, Toluwalase (Lase) Ajayi, MD, University of California San Diego; Scripps Mercy San Diego, CA, Megan Thorvilson, MD, Mayo Clinic Children’s Center, Rochester, MN, Elizabeth Hawkins, MDiv, BCC, CT, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, Danielle Jonas, MSW, LCSW, NYU Silver School of Social Work, New York, NY
- Smith S, Bass A, Cooley J, Hoffman A. (Presented February 2021). The Uncertain Path: Building Inter-team Trust in Complex Decision Making. Panel session accepted for presentation at The Academy for Professionalism in Health Care, 8th Annual Conference: Professionalism and the Restoration of Trust in Health Care, Virtual Conference
- Bass A, Smith S, Leith, K. (Presented February 2021). Mapping Out Your Palliative Patients’ Needs: A Triage Tool. One-hour concurrent session accepted for presentation at The Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Care, Virtual conference
Education / Honors
- Primary Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, PNCB
- MSN, Pediatric NP Specialty, Pediatric Palliative Care Sub-Specialty, with distinction, Boston College Connell School of Nursing, Chestnut Hill, MA
- BA, Microbiology, Miami University, Oxford, OH
- 2019-2020 AHP Provider of the Year, Honorable Mention, Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- NCH AHP Practice Council Scholarship Recipient, 2015 & 2020
- Robert Wood Johnson Scholar, 2009-2012
Please Leave a Review or Suggestion